Saturday, October 8, 2011

TPACK Assignment

This article was very technical in nature and it has been over 5 years since I have been in the classroom. However, if I were to apply this to my own classroom, I would like to improve on the integration of pedagogical techniquest with technology incorporation. I had always enjoyed using technology with my kindergarten students. It was difficult at times due to time constraints, scarcity of equipment, etc. Therefore I had to be very selective in the activities that were well suited for them. The article also mentions how students learn in a different capacity and level when technology is appropriately integrated into the lesson. I completely agree. At times, I would select activities that were not grade appropriate perhaps would have worked for a first or second grade level. I would have to re-organize the lesson without technology or select a different activity all together. I liked these articles because they use a 'prescriptive' way of encorporating technology.


2) I enjoyed using technology especially when we needed to focuse on certain topics. For example, selecting activities that would reinforce reading/sound discrimination. Kindergarten students are required to be reading phonetically by the end of the year. Several students reach this milestone but some do not. For the TPACK activity I would definitely use technology such as computer programs or tape recorders as well. Practice is key for students at this grade level and also finding valuable links is a great resource. I would create a newsletter for students' parents so that they could assist with online activities to reinforce skills. I could then reinforce these again during our computer lab time. I also would coordinate with the computer lab teacher or coordinator to have any necessary programs to be downloaded.

2 comments:

  1. Technology is fun, but it might get frustrating when you don't know how to use it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the way in which you were honest about not picking the most appropriate activity, and how the articles and video has made it possible to reflect about our practices so that we can make it better for the students in the future. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete